Redevelopment of Libuyu Health Centre
Libuyu Health Centre is situated in a densely populated part of Livingstone, Zambia and serves a population of over 20,000 people. As well as building a new Maternity and Infant Health unit, we want to improve and redevelop the existing clinic.
Libuyu is one of the fastest growing communities in Livingstone. Several major employers in the town have closed or downsized. This has forced some families to move into the suburbs in search of land available for subsistence farming. As a result, there is a growing need to improve access and delivery of healthcare services in the Libuyu area.
The current building was not designed as a clinic, and space is not efficiently used. As demand has increased, health services have been squeezed into limited spaces or have over spilled outside.
Crowded waiting area at Libuyu Health Centre
The clinic is currently struggling to effectively provide the following outpatient and in-patient care:
- Antenatal and postnatal care with labour ward
- HIV: Paediatric/adult HIV clinic; prevention of mother to child transmission; counselling and testing
- Laboratory for HIV, STI, plus other disease testing and sample storage
- Under-5s children’s clinic and immunisation service
- Family Planning Services & Support
Your support can change this. As well as constructing a new Maternity and Infant Health unit, we continue raising funds to:
- Re-design the existing centre (without structural changes) to create consultancy, treatment and examination rooms
- Adapt the back-annexe of the building into a new pharmacy, laboratory plus storage space
- Remodel inpatient wards to create separate spaces for male, female and child wards of 4 to 6 beds
- Update the electrical layout
- Improve toilets and sanitation
These changes will make a big difference in increasing capacity and improving delivery of healthcare services to the local community.
The pharmacy is currently situated in a cramped cupboard space. The laboratory has no space or security to host equipment and carry out tests.
Waiting area for Maternity and Infant Health – unusable during the rainy months
Existing maternity ward
If you could like to find out more about our work at Libuyu Health Centre, please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Thank you. Together we continue #BuildingBrighterFutures in Zambia.